Monday, November 06, 2006

When Tragedy Hits Home...

Normally when I watch the news, tragedy goes in one ear and out the other. Car accidents, plane crashes, shootings, random acts of violence...unless it affects me it really doesn't make an impact. Sometimes, most of the time, I don't feel a thing. There is so much bad that goes on nowadays I don't even stop to sympathize for people I don't know or the families they leave behind.

Then, last night, I'm drifting off to sleep when a report comes on the news about a small plane crash in Arkansas. And a name echoes from the anchor's mouth: Justin Whitefield. I sit up straight in my bed and watch in horror as his picture is flashed across the screen, as a teary Bob Funk begins to talk about what a great friend and talented young man he was. And my heart just sinks.

Justin was the Executive Director of the Oklahoma Youth Expo, and since my client is a huge sponsor of that program I have worked very closely with Justin for the last 4 years. He was brilliant, energized, and one of the nicest men I have worked with in the Oklahoma community. We are blown away in our little office, and we are very sad.

I just think it's interesting how we don't really let tragedy affect us until it's personal. But it is an eerie feeling to hear the name of someone you are close to come across the TV. It's strange to think about how you just talked to that person, just saw them at lunch last week, how you have an appointment to meet with them on your calendar that won't take place.

Every time the news reports on a tragedy, they are reporting on a life that mattered. They all leave behind parents and spouses and children and friends and colleagues--and even though we may not know them we should be reminded that someone did know them.

We are sad for the OYE office, sad for Justin's family, sad for his children. It's a gloomy day outside, and in our little office world that fits today.

No comments: