Thursday, November 23, 2006

I'm Thankful for...: Thursday Edition (Happy Thanksgiving!)

I'm finding it hard to be thankful right now because I had a very nice entry about my dad today and stupid blogger just erased it.

Today I wanted to talk about my dad and how thankful I am for the relationship we have. We've had our ups and downs for a while, but recently it's taken a turn for the better. I had a fantastic trip to his house in March and things have seemed to get much easier and much better since spending a little one-on-one time.

One thing I really appreciate about my dad is that he is always so positive about things. He listens very thoroughly to my thoughts and decisions, and always provides a positive outlook to what I decide. I appreciate his genuine interest in my life, from the mundane trips to the grocery store to the big life-changing decisions. He keeps up with me on this blog, and I think he enjoys hearing everything I have to ramble about. Long-distance relationships are hard on everyone, even if the relationship is father-daughter. So keeping that thriving is important.

Another thing my dad is very good at is sending cards. Sending cards for birthdays, valentines, halloween, and for no reason at all. He sends them snail mail, and it always brightens my day. Between him being so great at cards, and my mom being such a great gift-giver, how did I end up so crappy at giving gifts and letting friends know I'm thinking of them?

I appreciate my dad for always being supportive of my decisions, without judging them. Even if he disagrees, his response often involves shedding positive light on the manner at hand. If there were only one thing he was good at it would be showing support. And he's always telling me how proud he is of me.

I am thankful to truly have two parents that love me unconditionally. Not every kid can say that, and certainly many kids that have been through a divorce can't say that. But I can, and it makes Thanksgiving Day that much more meaningful.

The Pilgrims must have had a day like today in mind when they celebrated the first Thanksgiving. A day full of feast, family, football and pie.....and I'm Thankful we can continue those traditions.

Happy Turkey Day!

1 comment:

Cary said...

You talking about your dad brings back some very interesting memories.... ;-) I'm glad that he is such a wonderful part of your life.