Monday, November 13, 2006

Live on University...

Ah the smell of cigars, propane grills and beer...smells like Sooner Spirit to me!

I hadn't been to a football game in over a year when we headed to Norman on Saturday. WOW! I forgot how much fun it is. Is that even possible? To forget the feeling of happiness, wonder, excitement, and history in the air? To forget the sound of hundreds of fans randomly screaming "Boomer" and "Sooner", the sound of the drum show in front of the student union, the glorious sea of crimson, and hundreds of fans in line to get Brian Bosworth's autograph...to forget the essence of Sooner spirit. I don't ever want to forget that feeling!

I'm hooked, all over again!

We got to Norman in the afternoon, and I made John walk around campus with me while I pointed out every building I'd had class in, every tree on the grounds I'd sat under to study, every place I'd had coffee and plotted plans for the weekend. He listened intently, because I always listen to him when we drive through southeast Edmond neighborhoods and he points out every house an ex-girlfriend lived in.

Then I drug him to Campus Corner, made him wade through the thousands of drunks, I mean fans, and we even stopped to look at the three living Heisman winners signing autographs. Why the Boz had more people in his line than Owens, Sims, and White I'll never understand.

Then...we headed to the stadium. This was a great feeling, but strange for several reasons. This was the first game I'd ever been to where I didn't sit in the student section. So, it was strange to be able to arrive right before the game, rather than fight for a seat 2 hours before kick off! We sat on the west side of the stadium, so we entered in a totally new world. They sell FUNNEL CAKES on the donor side! Funnel cakes, people....we did not get that on the student side.

The stadium was so loud, everyone was so energized, and the weather was perfect football weather. Some people were cold, but sweatshirts and gloves are PERFECT for catching a game! We sang the chant, rocked to Boomer Sooner, and watched the pre-game video that gets the entire crowd pumped up.

Anyway...it was the best night I'd had in a long time. And we won...can't beat that! What a great evening! Here's to a Big 12 Championship appearance (good riddance, Texas!), here's to a BCS appearance, here's to an awesome 2007 season....one can only hope!

No comments: