Thursday, November 16, 2006

Soul Food


You thought I would forget to post today, didn't you? Ha! I made it just in time.

John and I were driving around this evening and came across this restaurant. If you grew up in the OKC metro area you probably remember Big Ed's Hamburgers. There used to be several around town. There was one in Edmond, and I remember going there a lot as a little girl. It was my dad's favorite place. I always tell people about how good the burgers were and how much I miss eating there. Needless to say when we ran across this location (not too far from our house even!) I was so excited. We had the best burgers and fries we'd had in a long time, and it tasted just like I remembered it. The service was outstanding. We walked in and felt like part of their family.

Do you have a restaurant from your childhood that holds a lot of memories? It's funny how our lives revolve so much around food. And not always in a bad way, like the news is always saying. But think about the dinner table, whether at home or at a restaurant, and how it can usually holds your favorite memories. Tonight as we sat in Big Ed's and ate, we noticed how the owner of the restaurant was sitting at another table, working fractions homework with his daughter. Just imagine the kind of memories that restaurant will hold for her as she gets older. I wonder if she'll look back and roll her eyes and sigh about how her parents MADE her sit at the restaurant every night slaving over homework. Or if there will be a point in time where she looks back and remembers how great it was to have a fun place to go and how her dad sat and did homework with her every night, always putting her education first. Even before his customers.

So, can you believe a burger joint can make someone so reflective? Like I said...sometimes fond memories of munching french fries with Mom and Dad after church on Wednesdays comes at the strangest times.

I should also mention that another restaurant that holds many Sunday lunch memories for both me and John was Ken's Pizza. It left Edmond a long time ago, but a while back we heard there was still a location in Eufaula. So we took a road trip and had great Ken's Pizza and chocolate pudding and told each other stories of our time growing up.

Food has such a way of bonding people! I personally would like to invite all of you to bond with me over chocolate cake anytime. Just give me a call!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Every Sunday after church our seven member family went to Ken's Pizza. Mom said it was the cheapest way to feed all of us and still be able to go out to eat. Ken's went out of business when I was in junior high and then we switched to Mazzios. Fun times:)

Shannon said...

We used to go to Simple Simon's Pizza in Claremore on wednesday nights. I used to love SUCH a treat. We tried it again later in life and it just wasn't as good. Same thing about Goldies. We loved to go out to eat at all, when we got older mom and dad had more money and we got a little more picky. So where did you find this location? I'd like to try it.