Sunday, June 03, 2007

Back to Back

I have a problem. It's a slight obsession. Basically, I will watch ANYTHING in marathon form. The most embarrassing example: America's Next Top Model. I cannot stop myself. This is not something I would ever program into my DVR, but when I'm flipping channels and run across MTV or VH1 playing back to back episodes of Tyra Banks instructing a bunch of anorexic crack addicts something in my body says stop. Settle in. Watch the carwreck unfold.

And I do. Suddenly, I become a modeling expert. She's too posed is often the judgement I find myself making.

But that's not all. The Real World, What Not to Wear, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, Little People Big World, and the always popular Law and Order 1,2, and 3 on USA and TNT....I can't help it. I'm crazy about back to back episodes.

And here's where it gets even worse. Sometimes, like this morning, my cat wakes me up by knocking over a glass of water all over my cell phone and book club read of the month and then I'm up. Doesn't matter if it's 7 a.m. or 4 a.m. (like this morning) I can't get back to sleep. And instead if plugging in an On-Demand movie or watching one of the million items on DVR, I find myself searching for familiar infomercials. I am easily sucked in...Bare Escentials, GT Express (yeah, bought it), the midget guy that makes millions off the real estate CD. The Magic Bullet (can I vacation there?), Ronco (set it and forget it), Jack Lalanne's Power Juicer, Windsor Pilates (bought that one, too)....it's a personal QVC for the early morning hours.

Ok....now that I've obviously watched too much TV and spent four hours writing a presentation for work tomorrow, I think I'll take a walk around the block. It's a nice night, I finally moved Kelly Clarkson onto my iPod, John's working. Time to get out and about and think about what life would be like without cable.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I too suffer from the marathon disease. Yesterday I watched all, ALL of the ANTM marathon on MTV. And if Law and Order or What Not To Wear is having a marathon, cancel all my plans. And the sad thing is, I've seen all of then before.

I PROMISE we will have book club soon!

Joe said...

Nothing new under the sun (or the antenna)! I still stop at each Star Trek - regardless of series - and watch the same show I've see many times before.

Now that Star Trek is a cultural icon, I can claim some degree of cerebral stimulation. I can't use any form of intellectual pursuit as a basis for knowing that Jeffery won last year's "Project Runway"...

Bad fashion television and L&O:CI without Vincent D'Onofrio - now that's a marathon! :-)