Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Yes, we talked about THAT

Wanna know a great way to get to know girl friends better?

Start talking about well woman exams and other experiences at your friendly neighborhood OB/GYN.

Seriously, it could replace weather as the best small talk topic ever.

What I have come to find out is that every single girl wants to talk about it. They want to giggle about it, roll their eyes, top the stories. The best is when you get to talk about taking your husbands to those appointments and watching their eyes as the experience unfolds. And watching the blood drain from their face as they go pale from realizing "wow, you're not making this crap up!".

Or talk about your first time at various nether-region exams and how no one prepared you for the sound that speculum's make (like a medieval torture device) or how "ultrasound" doesn't always mean goop on the tummy. It's hilarious, everyone laughs, and then everyone agrees that WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT IT! We should share and prepare each other so that no one feels stupid when they go to those appointments.

We all go through it (even guys have to listen or watch their ladies go through it) and it shouldn't be embarrassing. Last night I sat in a cozy room surrounded by desserts and talkative girlfriends and we shared...oh, did we share...and I laughed like I hadn't laughed in a long time.

I'm a pretty open person and I'll tell you just about anything you want to know. But I promise I do have a sense of who it's appropriate to talk with (I mean, probably not the best thing to chat about during Children's Bible Hour or a new client business pitch). But if you ever need good stories or want to share yours...I'd love to hear. We're all in this together!

Just a thought for your own Girls Night Out, especially with new friends. No faster way to get to know someone and put them at ease then talking about stirrups!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It was fun. The kind of sharing that makes you go home and think to yourself, "Did I really say THAT?!"

Emily said...

I so mad I missed last night. Stupid baseball. You know I love a good vaginal story.

ChandraJoy said...

I can totally see where that would get a bunch of ladies to open up!

Aubrey said...

Hahaha....fun times!

shannah said...

And alot of fun it was. I had a wonderful time sharing such stories.

Emily said...

Heehee..Chandra said "open up."

Cheryl said...

I'm sure we all have a few good ones. Let me know next time we are talking "front end alignments", and I'll share a few horror stories! Lord knows I've had my share!