Friday, June 20, 2008

Off the crack

Well, it's not exactly crack. But I am officially 5 days off diet soda. I'm not off caffeine, just diet soda. There's no getting around it...it's so bad for you. And I've been dealing with these migraines and headaches a lot lately and I really think all the aspartame has something to do with it. My own observation, not a scientific fact.

I drink coffee (with real sugar added in, not pink or blue or yellow). I think the possibilities of extra calories are ok to avoid the artificial sweetener. And I always drink my tea unsweetened (I hate sweet tea). So I still have caffeine.

A couple of years ago I gave up Diet Coke for a long while. I still drank Diet Dr Pepper, but just gave up Diet Coke on a recommendation of a friend. I really did notice a difference. I will do just about anything to get rid of these headaches. If it meant giving up brownies I would probably do it. But I'm not seeing any correlation between migraines and brownies so I'm still eating them.

Anyway...we'll see how long it lasts. But I haven't had even an aura of a headache in 5 days so...SCORE!

Also, I'm not going to make a huge deal about it because I've started and stopped more times than I can remember, but I did start back to Weight Watchers last week. Believe it or not, I was up 15 pounds from the last time I was there. I decided I can't afford new dress pants, so I just have to fit into the old ones...that's where WW comes in. In one week I was down 1.6 pounds so...SCORE again! Anyway, not that you care and we'll see how long it lasts. But I do feel less hungry and I've cut down portions big time.

There's your update...that's what's going on in my quest to feel better!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wait, you like sweet tea? I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Ask me how my diet is going. Last night I was eating one of your brownies and Colin walked in and he had a frosty for me. He was like, "Oh, I guess you don't want this." I said, "Why would I not want it?"

Cheryl said...

I'm so proud of you! I had to give up soda a few years ago for some "female" problems that were irritated by it. I sure do love my coffee and UNsweetned iced tea though! It will sure help you on those sleepless nights! By the way...love your wedding pictures. Mine are all on film...digital was not invented yet. Man, I'm old! Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I pray this will be an awesome year for you. You deserve it!