Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Shining

Well, I'm back in West Virginia. This time at a very nice resort with a 5-star restaurant. And it's the absolute weirdest place I've ever stayed. I keep seeing things I want to take pictures of to post, but so far there have been a lot of people around where I go so it would be weird.

This place looks like it got lost somewhere between 1978 and 1989. Maybe a little '91 in there, I can't tell. There is an overabundance of florals. And kelly green....lots and lots of kelly green. There is no way to even describe the decor...no consistency other than bright, obnoxious 80s florals and lots of green.

Also, I think this place began as a large plantation house and has been added on to for years. The hallways are looooong and a little creepy. Very "redrum" feel to it and I keep thinking twin girls are going to appear at the end of the hall with a wild-eyed Jack Nicholson to boot.

Oh, and each night at 9:00 they put signs up by the elevators that say "It's sleepy time in the South" trying to encourage people to be quiet.

Finally, there is only one place to eat after 9:00 and it's about half a mile across the resort land. I didn't eat dinner last night (which is INSANE for me) because we tried to get room service delivered to the hotel bar (which we found out they won't do) and then we walked to the restaurant where we found out it would be an hour before they'd let us even place an order. By the time I got to my room to order room service it was 10:00 and that was just silly. I ate the chocolates on my bed and fell asleep.

I don't even know how to describe it other than VERY bizarre. Other than the decor, it's absolutely beautiful here. I'm sleeping with the windows open (though I'll close tonight because it got COLD last night!) and the air is so crisp and clear...I saw a thousand stars last night on my walk to find dinner.

I hope to post more later.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You not eating dinner?! What up with that?