Friday, December 28, 2007

Philosophy of an almost 7-year-old

It was several years ago that John and I realized how in-tune our nephew, Easton was. He has always been a very bright kid, really likes being part of adult conversation. Most of you know that sarcasm is the key to conversing with Andersons and Gayles, and Easton has been working very hard to master it. He is almost 12 now.

Mason will be 7 in February. And while I knew he was starting to clue in to our conversations, Christmas day he sat me down to have a serious conversation and now I know he is officially listening to everything we say.

Obviously our doctor's appointment messed with the timing for both families on Christmas Day. So it was a topic of conversation, and everyone wanted to know what we'd found out. After presents had been opened and everyone was settled in with pie, Mason approached me in the living room with a very serious look. What follows is our conversation to the best of my memory.

Mason: "So I hear you guys are trying to have a baby." (this is an exact quote....imagine what was racing through my head!)

Me: "Well, yes, we are. We hope we'll have a baby next year."

Mason: (thinking) "Why?"

Me: "Well, because we like babies. Wouldn't you like to have a cousin?"

Mason: "I already have a cousin. I forgot her name, but I have a cousin."

Me: "Oh yeah....so, you like cousins."

Mason: "Yeah. You know, I bet you won't have a baby. Want to know why?"

Me: "Why?"

Mason: "Because you're skinny. Only fat people have babies."

Me: "Well, sometimes skinny people can have babies. But they get kind of fat when the baby grows inside them."

Mason: "Well, I don't like being fat. That's why I don't eat chocolate. Chocolate makes you fat. That's why I only eat M&M's because it's just a little bit of chocolate."

Me: (thinking that makes good sense) "M&M's are good. But I don't think you have to worry about being fat. You're skinny."

Mason: "I know. It's because I only eat M&M's. If I were you I wouldn't have a baby. Stay skinny."

Me: "I'll think about that."

Mason: "I don't like babies. Want to know why?"

Me: "Why?"

Mason: "Because they are expensive. You have to buy them a lot of stuff. If I were you I'd save your money and spend it on yourself."

Me: "I'll take that into consideration."

Mason: "I'm going to go play now."

Me: "Ok."

I love that kid....

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Priceless! What a smart kid he is!

Aubrey said...

That is HILLARIOUS! I laughed out loud on that one!