Thursday, September 07, 2006

Vacation Recap--I could write so much more...

Well, we are back. What a great vacation we had. Lots of relaxing, lots of great food, lots of family time. Not to mention the cool weather--I wore a jacket the whole weekend!

Saturday we spent a lot of time at The Mall, where we stopped by the U.S. Capitol building. We then went to the National Gallery of Art, which was awesome. We're not really "art" people, but this was incredible. Then we made our way over to the National Archives, where we saw the original Declaration of Independence and Constituition, and many other things. Then, it was off the the National Portraiture Museum, where we saw very famous paintings of former presidents. We finished up the day with a quick trip (not nearly enough time) through the Holocaust Museum. We made it back just in time for dinner, and a little OU football game. Luckily, the game was broadcast on TBS so it was national and we caught the whole thing. Of course I wasn't entirely pleased with the performance, but I'm also very excited about the potential of the team and how far we can go...I think OU will be great this year!

Sunday, John and I hopped in the car and headed an hour and a half North to Gettysburg, PA. Since we'd never been, and we're not Civil War buffs, we didn't even know where to start. Well, they have a solution for just that problem--for only $45 (seriously, very reasonable) you can reserve your very own, personal tour guide. He takes you on a 2-3 hour tour of the town, drives your car for you, points out all the little details, gives you a history, and tells lots of great stories. It was the best way to go, and if you're headed up there sometime I would recommend you get your own personal tour guide. WOW! Our guy was great.

It had rained for a good portion of the day on Friday-Sunday. However, Monday morning it was sunny, clear, and a cool 70 degrees outside! So, we headed over to the Nationals--Cardinals baseball game at RFK Stadium. It was quite a game, even though the Cardinals lost. We saw lots of things that you only hear about in baseball--a bat split on impact with the ball, the umpire called a 'balk', and it was a pitching fan's dream kind of game. My grandparents went with us, so that was really nice. It was their first time to a Nationals game, so I think they had fun!

Tuesday my grandparents went with us to the Dulles Airport, where they have a second Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. John was in hog heaven--planes and space shuttles and all kinds of aeronautical history. It is a very impressive facility.

To top it all off, we spent each night at dinner with my grandparents and even my uncle, aunt, and cousin. And my grandma made her famous chocolate cake so you know it was worth the trip for me. Chocolate cake every night! My grandparents were very generous. They have lots of space at their office apartment, so they let us stay there and even let us use one of their cars for the week!

Yes, John and I are dorks....we like to travel to museums rather than beaches. But it was so much fun and we got some much-deserved rest!

No comments: