Friday, April 06, 2007

a very, very, very fine house

Nothing like the sound of "Dawson's Creek" and the smell of paint fumes in the morning to make you appreciate a lazy Good Friday off of work. But a dark, quiet house all to myself--this I haven't had in a long time. And not at all since we moved in.

I haven't updated in a while, I know. I mentioned before that this was the most inopportune time to move--work has been CRAZY. I've been to Tulsa three times since last Saturday. Meetings are falling out of the sky. It's been fun to have different people stop by every night to see the progress we've made in unpacking, and fun to eat a few meals in the new kitchen.

This house is perfect. Even more perfect after last night when John (and me!) stayed up and painted the guest room. There was a horrible shade of yellow on ONE wall and I knew I couldn't stand it for much longer. I hesitate to say it was a "problem" with the house because this house is perfect. The owners took wonderful care of it, it was spotless when we moved in, it's beautiful.

Did I mention it took 5 days to close on the house? Did I mention we moved everything in HOPING sales would go through and papers would be signed? Did I mention I will be closing my Bank of America checking and savings accounts I've had since I was 17 because of the incompetency of their mortgage department? Did I mention I'll be writing numerous letters with our realtor to the Oklahoma Realtors Association and Bank of America, and maybe some others I can think of because of the inexperience, incompetency, and and utter lack of responsibility certain people showed when representing the poor woman that bought our house?

But, it all worked out! Not perfectly, but as we soak in the 3-foot deep tub, or cook mac and cheese on the gas stove, or feel the bedroom ceiling fan blow cool air, or stare at our beautiful fireplace it makes it all worth it.

Today, as I mentioned, I'm off work for the holiday. My plan was to paint, but I guess that's done (and it looks great!). Now I guess I'll HAVE to catch up on DVR. And I suppose I'll need to unpack the office. And prepare for my trek to IKEA tomorrow!

Ok, ok...I might try taking some pictures of the house to post. I was trying to wait until it was perfect, but that may be a while! Moving has been incredibly stressful and incredibly exciting all at the same time...I promise those of you who are packing boxes, house hunting, keeping the toothbrushes out of sight for potential buyers--it's all worth it. And once you're in your new house--take a moment to breathe it all in, paint fumes and all.

1 comment:

Joe said...

You and John have handled yourselves with far more class than the supporting institutions you mention.

Don't let the opportunity slip by to make your statement strongly and with conviction. Mortgage institutions are suffering these days and have A LOT to lose when young families complain.

I'm glad you both are successfully "relocated". I look forward to seeing pictures once you've "settled"!