Monday, April 09, 2007

Weekend at IKEA


Yes, here are the purchases from IKEA. All the way to Frisco: about $60 in gas, 7 1/2 hours total trip (after a few missed turns) and we purchased tupperware and a lamp shade that did not fit my lamp once I got it home.
Sigh.
However, we did stop by Galleria furniture on the way home, and ended up finding a dining set we love for a better price than we could have found even at IKEA. And much better quality.
But, it's always fun taking road trips with John!
I have officially unpacked every box in the house. All done...and it's a huge relief. I feel so much more at peace. Plus, I did something yesterday that I don't like to do. I purged.
No, I didn't make myself throw up. I purged all my junk, all the things I've collected over the years, all the sentimental items that don't mean anything to anyone but me. I threw away countless boxes and picture frames, and old notes, and silly figurines, and candles, and candle holders. I put rugs and blankets in boxes for giveaways. I went through and made sure I was storing nothing but essential day-to-day items, and photos. So when you walk through my house, you won't find piles of things anymore, or open decorative boxes to find lots of little junk.
I read an article in "Real Simple" magazine over the weekend, about clearing your mind of clutter. It starts with clearing your house of clutter. And she suggested throwing 50 things away (or giving away). And, magazines/catalogs only count as one thing. Then you're supposed to write it all down, so you can feel light and free when you look at the list. I didn't write every little thing down, but I did write several things and I'm up to 35 things--that I recorded. So, I'm thinking it totals 50. I feel lighter already!
Anyone seen "Blades of Glory" yet? Oh my gosh....John and I went on Friday. We laughed so hard we cried. We thought it was better than "Talladega Nights", though some disagree. So hilarious.
Pictures to come....

No comments: