Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

I had a totally weird, awkward experience today. One of our former interns asked me to come speak to her Principles of PR class at UCO. Like an idiot, I agreed (because I can't say no, even to an intern). So I've spent the past few nights putting together a presentation about PR, my company's PR, my job, how I got there, etc. And I've been not looking forward to it all week long.

It was at 11:00 this morning, so I drug myself across campus in the freezing, pouring rain to arrive at the classroom 30 minutes ahead of time. I waited and waited outside the room, and I started to get worried about 10 minutes before class and there were no students and no teacher. Finally, the intern came and grabbed me--they'd switched rooms and she'd forgotten to pass the word on. By the time I arrived, class had already started and they were basically sitting and waiting on me. So, my brilliant plan to hook up my computer to the projector and have a little time to consult with the professor about what he was looking for failed. I had to start talking the minute I walked in--with no presentation.

I kept getting flustered and felt completely unprofessional as I tried to communicate my notes without the visuals I had painstakingly put together. I'm sure the students were looking at me like "she's a PR professional? Maybe I need to change my major".

The question and answer session was MUCH better, and I began to gain my confidence back. But, by the time I left (with a parting gift no less!) I was pretty sure the whole experience had failed. Sigh...I do great in front of the clients, honestly! I don't know why a bunch of 20-year-olds can get me all flustered.
------------------------------------------------

Friday the 13th turned out to be a pretty exciting day--Baby Adcox finally arrived! Donovan "Van" Michael Adcox arrived this evening. I can't wait to head to the hospital to see him. Congrats, Brooke and Derek!
-----------------------------------------------

And speaking of babies, this week was also a terribly sad week. I know many of you have been following the story of Harper Hawley. Her amazing parents, Zach and Haley, have been through so much since Harper got sick several months ago. Lots of time in the hospital, scary nights at home, so many different doctors. Harper passed away on Saturday.

If you get a chance....visit Harper's blog sometime. Read her Dad's beautiful posts about her battle, and see how God can work even in the most desperate situations. Read the amazing comments from people across the country, who have been praying for the Hawley's for so long. I know her parents are incredibly sad, but at the same time joyous--she's not in pain anymore. And they already have someone waiting for them in Heaven.

How can one week be so full of joy, and so full of sorrow?

No comments: