Thursday, April 26, 2007

Missed Opportunities

It's that time of year where I get to trek downtown and pretend I'm a Future Farmer of America for a night among 10,000 kids in blue jackets. And then I leave teary-eyed and inspired and wishing I was back in high school so I could have the opportunity to join this group and be an FFA alumni forever. I want to be part of their group.

I'm not kidding....if you ever get the chance to visit the State FFA Convention, do it. They are an unbelievable group of kids that put on an unbelievable show. And last night, the President of the FFA came flying into the crowd on a rocket pack. No wires, just a rocket pack that flew him across the Cox Convention Center. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen.

So, now I have to wait another year to be among those whom (who?) I truly believe are "my people". They could have been my people. You know, if I'd grown up in a rural community on a farm instead of in stupid Edmond in a stupid middle class neighborhood without any stupid land to raise cattle. My parents thought they were working hard to provide me every opportunity for the future, but obviously they missed an area because I should have been exposed to farming. If I'd known how fun it would be, I would have joined FFA. Instead, I was stuck singing and dancing with life-size dolls in show choir while wearing a very unflattering white sequined dress, suntan pantyhose, and flesh-colored shoes. Gotta love that memory!

Sigh....I'm just kidding. Not really that bitter. But in all seriousness, they are really cool kids that are so smart and polite and hard-working. And despite their overwhelming preference for the education at Oklahoma State, I still like them. See....this is the fun part of my job!
-------------------------------------------

In other non-farming news my book clubs (yes, more than one) should hold me accountable this month--there is NO excuse for me not to read both books. Yesterday I spent about $2,000 on plane tickets for the FOUR trips I have to make for work between now and the end of May. That's 8 days I will be spending in an airport, 5 nights in a hotel, and more flights than I can count due to all the connections (why OKC doesn't have a direct flight to Norfolk, Virginia or Charleston, West Virginia I'll never understand). There is no excuse....I should be able to read both books plus all my People magazines.
-------------------------------------------

That's really all I have for now. Just when I thought things would slow down after yesterday, then I become a traveler again. Funny....I was just thinking the other day about how I haven't been anywhere lately. My friends in security at Will Rogers Airport are probably missing me!
-------------------------------------------

Sidenote: my husband thinks I'm a dork for wishing I'd been in FFA, but I think he's a dork because he spent money to buy "Soul Plane" on DVD. So there.
-------------------------------------------

Additional sidenote: I hope my friends don't stop hanging out with us because we're such dorks.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Are you going to be able to visit the hospital this week or will you be gone? I'm having the baby on monday!

Jessica said...

I'll be gone most of next week, but if she arrives in time for a Monday night visit we'll head that way!

Send me a text or give me a call when you guys are good to go....so happy for you, and can't wait to meet little noname!

Shannon said...

My surgery is at 7:30 in the morning, so it should be here by lunch at the latest!