Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

People have got to stop going crazy and killing people in mass in April. Ok, they really need to completely stop killing anyone at any time, because it's just terrible. But there is something about April that apparently appeals to crazy mass murderers.

Let's take a look:
April 16th--crazy student murders 32 people at Va Tech, which turns out to be the worst mass shooting in American history
April 19th--The tragedy at Waco, you know with the whole cult/David Koresh thing, takes place killing 74 people in 1993. THEN, in 1995 Oklahoma City is rocked by a bomb killing 168 people by crazy militia men.
April 20th--The Columbine High School shooting takes place in 1999, killing 12 students

April 17th--Jessica Anderson is born in 1981

These crazy people are getting closer and closer to my birthday, and I just don't want that responsibility. Apparently this is a bad time to be born. In my defense, everything happened long after I was born. Looooong after.

Because apparently I am old. John has asked me no less than 42 times "what does it feel like to be so close to 30"? So I promptly reply "I don't know, why don't you tell me since you're a mere 5 months away from the magic number"?

I told him last night that I don't FEEL 26. I feel 19. It's not a bad thing, and I can't really explain why I feel like that. But I do. I feel like I'm 19. Older than high school, but still not old enough to be responsible for anything. Sometimes I look at my life and I can't believe I'm here. I can't believe I have my own house, my own car, my own awesome job, my own HUSBAND. My own cat, my own furniture, my own "old" friends, my own degree. I even have my very own faith and belief and relationship with God.

I'd say that, for 26 years old, I have a lot. And I'm lovin' every minute of it! But it doesn't make me feel OLD....because I keep thinking it's not my real life. I'm just watching someone else. Kind of exciting to think it's really all mine.

Wow....started with mass murderers and now I'm bragging about my life. As you can see, when you start getting old your mind wanders.

Anyway, yes, today is my birthday. So, how much do I love my job? A lot. I have received more phone calls, e-cards, e-mails, and text messages from colleagues across the country than I could ever imagine! I love the people I work with--I couldn't dream up a better place to spend a majority of my time!

I love being 26. I love where I am right now. And I hope we NEVER have any more mass killings, and certainly not around my birthday. And I will certainly hug those I love a little closer (especially my college-aged sister) and just continue to pray for those in Virginia.

Tonight, it's Eischen's, cake, and giant cookies. I'm not sure it gets any better than that.

**NOTE: I just found out that apparently the Titanic sunk on April 13th. Just so you know. All you young couples out there--don't get too crazy in June/July--you shouldn't have kids in April!**

6 comments:

Cary said...

Happy birthday.

Watch out, soon it's going to be "...my own house, my own husband, my own child..."

;-)

Shannon said...

I'll have to hold this baby in till May! No April babies! Jeff is an April baby though, so they can't be too bad!

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday! Hey 26 is super young! I say that because I may or may not be older than that. Embrace those mid-twenties girl!

Susan said...

Happy birthday! I'll be celebrating next week.

But I'm a long way from 26 . . .

swatterson said...

Happy Birthday + 1!

Can't wait to see your new place on Saturday!

Emily said...

Cason is an April baby too...I personally think that everyone just goes crazy trying to do their taxes by April 15th