Monday, February 11, 2008

It's in the details

Several weeks ago I was shopping with a friend. As we were walking around the mall, she said she had been examining her life, trying to figure out what kind of person she wanted to be. And what she said next was so revealing, so perfect I've been thinking about it since that day.

She said she realized she wanted to be "a person who wears accessories".

Now, at first this struck me as funny. To take a long, hard look at your life and determine you want to wear accessories didn't seem that "revealing" to me. However, she went on to explain further that people who wear accessories seem so put together. They look and feel put together and if she were an accessories person, in some way her life would feel a little more organized and put together.

What a simple revelation. I have been thinking about it for several weeks. I would love to be an accessories person. I love details. I tend to notice people's necklaces, their buttons, their handbags, their hairpins. I love how a yellow bag can jump off a black shirt, how a strand of sparkly thread can make pants seem fancy, how a bobby pin with a rhinestone can make even bed head look purposeful. And I realized I want to be someone who is in the details. Subtle, maybe even things others can't see.

This button is my inspiration. In fact, I bought these pants last year mostly because I was so taken by the button. How many people actually see the button on these pants (it's on the waist)? Very few. But everytime I wear these pants, I feel very put together.

I know it doesn't make much sense. But just know that this is the most beautiful button I've ever seen, and it inspires me to be more put-together, to feel better about myself, and to concentrate on the details.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Great post Jess! I feel the same way about accessories. I have to make a conscience effort to remember to wear necklaces. I haven't worn earrings in ages. Thanks for the reminder. Oh, and it makes perfect sense.

It must be my goal to comment on every post you have :)

Elizabeth said...

I need an accessories makeover. Someone help me! I don't even own a pair of matching eaarings anymore.

not so zen momma said...

We all need to meet at Dustee's! (And thanks Jessica for making me a "rock star" for the day)

Emily said...

I never leave the house without earrings and multiple bracelets and my life is totally not put together. I always think I'm going to quit wearing so much jewelry to simply my life.