Monday, May 28, 2007

Reunions....

I'm not sure I'll be able to attend my high school reunion in 2 years. I'm already nervous thinking about it. And this weekend was like a flashforward in how I'll feel leading up to the reunion.

Saturday night was the wedding of a friend of mine from youth group. We'd grown up together since we were 5 years old. His dad was the preacher at my church until after I graduated high school, and even performed our wedding 4 years ago. I should not have been nervous, but alas I was. I knew there would be a lot of people I haven't seen in 8 years.

For some reason I get crazy thinking about this. I wake up thinking "I NEED this to be a good hair day....please, bangs, work with me)". I spend hours picking out my "hottest outfit" which never quite works out like I want it to....I'm always missing the accessories needed to set it off. I practice my "elevator speech" about my career and my marriage and all the things I've accomplished since my awkward high school days.

Then I get there, and I am totally comfortable and have no reason to worry. I think about how much I've changed since high school, and I realize that everyone else has changed, too. No one is the same person they were back then....and we're all glad to see each other, catch up with each other, see where we've ended up.

I ended up with a great hair day, a really hot outfit (thanks to the Banana Republic outlet last weekend) , and a confidence I didn't have back in high school. It was a great evening, because even if I didn't have those things it would have been ok. Everyone was great, it was a beautiful wedding, a perfect evening.

Did I mention I looked pretty good?
-------------------------------------------

In other news, I was so happy to attend the graduation reception of my friend and former roommate, Laura Haws. Excuse me, I meant DR. Laura Haws. She graduated from medical school on Saturday, and will be starting her residency at OU Med Center this summer. I LOVE that I surround myself with such smart friends.

No comments: