Friday, July 25, 2008

Remembering

Random things I'm remembering:

I remember making this pledge week after week:
On my honor
I will try
To serve God
And my country
To help people at all times
And to live by the Girl Scout law
-----------------------

I remember one summer my parents had just bought the ultimate in style and comfort, our blue Chevy Lumina minivan. We loaded it up and took it crosscountry to visit my grandparents on the East Coast. We stopped at many places along the way, a good old-fashioned road trip.

This was around the time I was very into horses, and I'd read Misty of Chincoteague. And my parents went out of their way to stop at Chincoteague Island in Virginia/Maryland to see the wild horses there, just like in the book.
----------------------

I remember when my sister was into "Harriet the Spy" book and movie, and she and her friend Jennifer (our neighbor) decided to be Harriet. They drew tattoos on the bottom of their feet, packed spy kits, and became peeping toms at all the houses on our street peering into open windows and backyards to spy on the neighbors.
---------------------

I remember a big storm coming through when we lived in our house on Teal Place. It was already past us, but still close by and my dad took me up on the roof to watch it. I remember sitting up there and can still see the gray, lowering clouds that seemed just inches from my fingers. I've never felt safer in a storm than I did up there on the roof.
--------------------

I remember spending all afternoon in the kiddie pool in the backyard and getting a blistering sunburn. I couldn't even move for a couple of days, it hurt so bad. But when I finally felt up to getting out, my mom and dad took me on a walk around the block to push my babydoll in her blue plastic stroller.
-------------------

So, random, I know. But all have come up in the last few days while I was on the road for business. For some reason, each seemed significant.

No comments: