Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Long Weekend...

I can't believe how fast the weekend went by! I'm on a roll--I've now seen TWO movies that are out in theatres. But now I remember why I don't go to the movies very often--it's likely to break my bank!

I saw X-Men 3 on Saturday with Easton. I knew no one else would want to see it with me, and Easton and I had a great time when we saw Harry Potter so I asked him to go with me. I was not disappointed. I love the X-Men movies. They are a lot like Spiderman--not so cartoony and cheesy, but have a real story behind them. Anyway, it's quite action-packed.

We also did a lot of swimming this weekend. My mom's neighborhood has a pool, so we went there on Friday and now Arni and Nina have a pool in their backyard as well! It's one of those 4-foot deep inflatable pools. Just big enough for the family. So, I have no excuse to not be a waterbug this summer for sure!

John and I went with Matt and Robin on Sunday to see "The DaVinci Code". I'm not sure if that makes me a terrible Christian or not. There's a lot of controversy behind it! To top it off, I never saw "The Passion of the Christ", which was apparently the Christian must-see movie. Anyway, "DaVinci" was very good. I'm such a sucker for history and mystery and movies that make you think. My brain hurt at the end of the movie there is so much in it. I'm ready to go see it again, and I'm wanting to read the book now.

I do not think it's going to cause people to leave their faith or believe something sinister about Jesus' life. I do not think it drags down the church. I do think it portrays some of the Christian fanatics in an unflattering light--but I don't think it does it on a sneaky level. We all know there are certain aspects of different faiths that we don't understand, beliefs we don't quite comprehend, behaviors we don't agree with. But this movie didn't make me think they were all murderers or extremists. In fact, it made me more interested in trying to understand some of those beliefs, to get the real story.

At the end of the day--it's just a story. After much discussion with John (there's another good thing the movie does--furthers intelligent discussion with your spouse!), I finally decided that faith is your own. Only you can decide what you believe in. A fictional movie is not going to make me want to change my faith, change my belief, or become an atheist.

Also--I made a scrumptious dessert, straight off the Food Network this weekend! It's called an Eclair Cake and it's a Paula Deen recipe. I love that lady. Anyway, it's like a chocolate eclair in a cake form....very easy to make and quite tasty if I do say so myself. You can find it at Food Network website...called Eclair Cake by Paula Deen. I'd post the link, but then it would mess up the layout of my blog...

No comments: