Monday, May 15, 2006

Are you ready to get your Styx on?

Yes, this was an actual question asked at the concert last Friday. I'm talking major cheese the whole night and I loved it! Styx wore tight leather 80s pants and I don't think they have cut their hair since their stint in the 80s. The best part about their show? The keyboard player had a spinning keyboard. I think he spent more time spinning the keyboard than actually playing it! Biggest disappointment with Styx: they only played the chorus one time of Mr. Roboto. Seriously--that was a song that should have been played in it's entirety.

REO Speedwagon was good....but I was a little annoyed with the constant talking and blatant political agenda. He gave quite a speech about how the war in Iraq is basically a new Vietnam. I don't necessarily agree or disagree--the point is that I didn't go to the Zoo Ampitheatre to talk about issues that bog me down day after day. I went to hear "I Can't Fight this Feeling Anymore" and "Time for Me to Fly". And I certainly don't want to entertain the political musings of a strung out 80s band lead singer!

Which brings me to my next annoyance with REO--they played more "new" stuff than old stuff. Apparently they have a new album coming out in 2008 and decided to play it for the audience. But, they played new stuff practically the whole time. I'm sorry, but we're not there to hear new songs coming out in 2 years from a band who hasn't had new stuff in 10+ years. Obviously, we're there to hear the golden oldies.

Anyway--the old stuff they did play was great. Even greater: the people watching phenomenon. I swear, I should attach a camera at my hip so that it's always with me. There were some unprecedented photo opportunities when you combine giant cans of Miller beer and the fresh smell of weed wafting through the air.

Next opportunities: Chicago and Huey Lewis are coming together in June, followed by Cinderella and Poison later this summer. As Renee said yesterday--the day Whitesnake comes to OKC--we're there!

No comments: