Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy John Day!

I know it's a day late, but that's how things seem to be these days...but Happy Anniversary AND Happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband, John!

I wrote in his first Father's Day card that the last 6 years have been amazing and wonderful but they've been even better the last 6 months. I can't imagine a better partner on this adventure of marriage or parenthood. I truly believe God designed him just for me (to both test my patience and break down the barriers of love in my heart!) and I do thank my lucky stars every night. Even on nights after he's been golfing.

My best friend got married this weekend, which was both a celebration of love and commitment to remind me again of what a gift marriage and family can be AND it was a lot of me putting my own marriage and anniversary on hold to get her through this weekend. John was wonderfully loving and supportive of this, and so I do owe him a weekend of celebrating his first Father's Day (though I did spend hours watching golf with him yesterday so that in and of itself is a GIFT) and our anniversary since so much of me was spent designing programs, burning CD's, squeezing into bridesmaid a dress, dancing with a ringbearer, eating cake, hosting 8 women in my kitchen to get their hair and makeup done, driving to the chapel and back numerous times, calming the anxious bride, and various other matron of honor duties. John was great to share me with her.

I've been wanting to do a post for a while on marriage, especially about a song that I think speaks so much about marriage today and what it SHOULD be. Watching Hollywood marriages fall apart(tear - Jon and Kate), divorce such an easy option...I am thankful for my husband and I'm thankful for each passing year we have together. It's not always easy. I imagine it won't always be easy and it will probably get harder some days. But I promised "until death do us part" and I take that very, very seriously. Most days, though, are awesome and he's incredibly patient and kind and loving to me. More on that and a beautiful song to come.

I love you, Honey. You're the most wonderful, natural father. Colt lights up when he sees you and I love watching you with him. What a special day, to celebrate Father's Day and our anniversary on the same day. I thank God for you, and our life together. I'm the luckiest girl in the world!

2 comments:

Infertility is Hard said...

What a sweet post.

I had to chuckle a little when you mentioned John and Kate. I watched the show last night, and had tears when they showed a video montage of the kids when they were younger. Boo! :-(

It's wonderful that marriage is so important in your life. If I've learned anything in my 5 years of marriage, it's to never look to Hollywood for any marital advice. I mean, how many times has Paris Hilton referred to one of her boyfriends as "the one?" ;-)

Anonymous said...

I was just about to write, "What a sweet post." Heh. Great minds.

Anyways, I can sense from your posts that you guys are a perfect match for each other. Isn't it amazing to watch these men we love become fathers?

Happy John Day, indeed!