Thursday, July 27, 2006

Baby, One More Time

I have a confession. And it's probably not a huge shock to most of my close family and friends. But nonetheless, I will make the confession. I love bubblegum pop, and I'm pretty sad that the era of late nineties pop is over. "Genie in a Bottle", "Oops I Did it Again", "Bye, Bye, Bye" and "I Want it That Way"....I mean, you can't get better than that, can you? I spent my high school and college years with my girlfriends (none of whom would probably fess up to it now) obsessing over Boy Bands and the Britney-Justin relationship. I own every album of Britney Spears, N'Sync, 98 degrees, and Backstreet Boys. And every now and then, on a long trip to Tulsa by myself, I'll stick the weathered CDs in my car, blast it loud and proceed to sing every word to every track.

It's one of the great guilty pleasures of my life.

So imagine my shock and awe at this week's revelation that Lance Bass of N'Sync is gay. I'm sure all you Classic Rock fans and other music snobs out there would say "how did you not see that coming?". I remain confident in my teenage obsession, and tell you I had no idea. Lance wasn't my favorite N'Sync member (he was more on the level of Howie from Backstreet Boys....you know, #5 out of 5) but I still saw him as the definition of what every girl wanted. As I told my fellow lover of boy bands, Brooke--it's the end of an era.

Did you know N'Sync is still listed as "on hiatus" and not broken up? I don't think there is much hope of a reunion at this point.

Yes, Lance is gay. Britney keeps popping out babies. Christina is dirrrrty. Justin is Houseboy to Cameron Diaz. Jessica Simpson is living happily ever after with her dad (gross, by the way). Boy--we've all grown up, haven't we.

I will now get back to work, and wait for the phone call from John when he reads this and calls to tell me that my public revelation has officially embarrassed him beyond comprehension.

No comments: