Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I know, it's been a while since I last updated. But apparently, I'm a cross-country traveler!

Chicago was ok. I didn't do anything there. Flew in, attended a conference, slept and flew out. The meeting took place at the Doubletree was I was stuck there the whole time. I do have to pat myself on the back for my improving airport skills.

First, I will say that I hate to fly. I guess it's because I feel completely out of control (although I can't be any less in control than I am when I'm riding with John in the car). And yes, I understand you're more likely to be killed on the way to the airport than in a plane. But how many movies are there on car accidents? Very few--plane crashes as much more entertaining, apparently. I AM getting used to it. In fact, once those initial 5 minutes of takeoff are over, and we don't explode, I feel pretty good about the flight.

Second, many of you know that I'm a little bit of a nervous person in general. I do not like to be late to things and I don't like for things to be off schedule. So, you can imagine how the airport messes with my sense of control. I even get to the airport about an hour and a half early in OKC. I wait for a while, but my heart doesn't race and I'm less likely to be searched by security (they only search you when you're about to miss your plane!). Anyway, I don't like it when my itinerary is thrown off.

So, since I've heard horror stories about how busy O'Hare airport is and how behind it always is, I wanted to be there very early for my return flight. I left the Doubletree with 2 hours before my flight, and ended up getting right through security. What made me do this, I don't know, but I decided to see if there was an earlier flight to St. Louis (connecting airport). There was! It was leaving in 10 minutes. So I ran. I ran and ran and ran through O-Hare Airport with my 50-pound piece of luggage and 20-pound shoulder bag in my heels. Heels, running, across the largest airport in America. And I made it. I ran onto the plane and they literally shut the door behind me!

So I get to St. Louis, and I'm thinking "I don't want to wait for another 4 hours for my flight home". And guess what? They had an earlier flight to OKC that was supposed to leave 10 minutes before I landed and it was delayed. So I made that one, too. Instead of being delayed on my way home, I was home 2 and a half hours early! However, I did have bad blisters from running in heels, and couldn't wear dress shoes for a week.

I went to Missouri this past weekend, which was great to see the grandparents, eat lots of food, and watch OU beat Nebraska. I watched the game with my Grandma. I think she might have been bored but she thought I was awfully funny! Let's give a round of applause for Rhett Bomar and his sling of receivers--finally completing some passes. We may be bowling after all.

Anyone else think maybe the Hornets game was rigged last night? Seriously--they beat Sacramento by like 30 points for their home opener. They won, what, 1 pre-season game? Conspiracy theories floating all over our office today!

I also have to give the "Husband of the Year" award to John. He sent me a HUGE boquet of flowers last week for no reason except "Just Because". They're still blooming and making my office beautiful.

I'll post pics of Easton and Mason's Halloween costumes shortly.

No comments: